Monday

About 21 killed in fresh attacks in southern Kaduna


At least 21 people have been killed in renewed attacks in four communities in Kaura and Jama’a local government areas of Kaduna state.

Many houses were also burnt in the attacks, which reportedly took place between Sunday evening and Monday morning.

Details of the attacks are still sketchy.

All efforts to contain the violence in the region have not yielded the desired results.

Nasir el-Rufai, governor of the state, has held a series of peace meetings with stakeholders. The governor even declared a 24-hour curfew in some of the affected local government areas during the heat of the crisis.

Last week, the foundation of a proposed military barrack in Kafanchan.

Speaking when the foundation was laid, Tukur Buratai, chief of army staff, said the location was chosen as a response to the incessant killings occurring in southern Kaduna for four decades.

The government has vowed to go ahead with the establishment of the barrack, despite the temporary setback.

Earlier in the month, former president Goodluck said the implementation of the resolutions of the 2014 national conference will prevent ethnic and religious tensions that lead to crises.

Following the  attacks, the Kaduna state government has announced  the relocation  of the garrison commander of the one division of the Nigerian Army, Ismaila Isa, and the state’s commissioner of police, to the southern part of the state to coordinate a determined response to renewed attacks by armed bandits on communities in Kaura and Jema’a local government areas.

In a statement by Samuel Aruwan, spokesman to Nasir el-Rufai, the government said the  situation had been brought under control as security operattions continue.

The governor assured  that the government is fully committed to securing the area, with the active support of the army and the police.

The statement added that the two battalions of the army and the 10 mobile police squadrons are engaging the bandits, as the duty state carries out its obligations to secure the area, protect lives and rout these armed bandits.

The governor said that despite these difficulties and the pain of the attacks, this is not the time to give “the bandits” the pleasure of seeing victims turn on each other.

“Unknown gunmen in a coordinated attack invaded Bakin Kogi, Kaninkon Village in Jemaa Local Government Area in the State on Sunday 19th February, 2017 at about 5:30pm. They were repelled by Operation Yaki Surveillance Patrol Teams and Operation Harmony Patrol Teams,” the statement read.

“Further attacks were recorded today (Monday) in Kaura local government. Fatalities were recorded and some houses were burnt in the attacks.

“I have been in touch with the security agencies and I have been studiously following the situation in Jema’a and Kaura Local Government Areas over the unfortunate attacks.

“I want to, first of all, extend myheartfelt condolences to the families and relations that lost their loved ones and properties in these unfortunate attacks. My prayers and support equally goes to citizens that sustained injuries and are traumatised by what they witnessed.

“This is clearly a wicked, evil and devilish act being perpetrated by enemies of peace and humanity.

“I also wish to commend our gallant soldiers and police personnel, who are defending our communities.The Kaduna State Government will continue to work assiduously with security agencies towards the protection of life and property.”

-

Related Post