Congratulations on your promotion from Candidacy to Studentship. You are indeed not only lucky but favoured to be members of this great community known as Nnamdi Azikiwe University. As you celebrate your successful admission and Matriculation, I will like you to take note of the following:
1. Nnamdi Azikiwe University is widely known for Discipline, Self Reliance and Excellence. Therefore, note that academic activities are your major reasons of admission into the University. This is the right time to set a target on the kind of grade you will graduate with. Always be confident of yourself, attend lectures regularly and avoid engaging yourselves in all kinds of crimes and social vises. Note that the University won’t issue you a certificate even if your final CGPA is 5.0 if it is proved that you are lacking in character.
2. Out of over eighty thousand candidates that preferred the University in the 2016 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, you are among the lucky seven thousand eight hundred and twenty candidates that finally made it. The competition was very high, candidates were numerous but available spaces were very little. Do you know that seven thousand candidates preferred to study Medicine while only one hundred spaces were available in the Faculty. Therefore if any of your relatives or friends was unlucky, note that one of the causes was numerous applications for few admission spaces.
3. If any of your relatives or friends scored ‘high’ in JAMB UTME but wasn’t admitted, note that apart from Jamb score, other criteria were employed in the admission process. Such criteria include O’ Level Result standard, UTME Subjects Combination, Catchment and ELDS policies. Some candidates made high UTME scores but their O’ Level Results Grades in required subjects were not very encouraging. For example, a Candidate of Political Science who scored as high as 270 in UTME but made a ‘C6’ Grade in Government in O’ Level had his chance for admission reduced by the poor Grade in Government. Also, some candidates failed to register the right subjects combination in their UTME. For example, the right subjects combination for Medicine in UTME are English, Physics or Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry, any candidate who failed to register any of those subjects in his or her UTME won’t be admitted into Medicine even if such candidate scored as high as 300 in JAMB. Also, the Federal Government admission policy required that candidates who have UNIZIK as their Catchment will be more considered for admission and such candidates include those whose states of origin are either Anambra, Enugu, Ebonyi, Imo, or Abia. The Federal Government admission policy also required that candidates from Education Less Developed States (ELDS) that include Ebonyi, Bayelsa, Zamfara, Yobe, e. t. c should be considered for admission.
4. Avoid all forms of examination misconduct, social vises like robbery, armed robbery, cultism, Internet scam, fighting, smoking hard drugs, rape e . t. c as any of such may lead to your suspension or expulsion from the University as the case may be. Note that if you are expelled from the University, copies of your expulsion letter will be sent to your parent or guardian, security agencies and all tertiary institutions across Nigeria and no University in the country will admit you again.
5. Do not be in a hurry to make friends. Cast and bind any form of ‘Boy Friend’ or ‘Girl Friend’ that comes your way at least till you reach 300 level. Rushing into 'friendship' without proper understanding of the University community will lead you to academic and psychological hell fire.
6. If you are a Virgin, do not be in a hurry to break the tissue. Be yourself and maintain your virginity at least till you reach 300 level. This is because if you rush to expose yourself to sex, you will consequently expose yourself to distractions which you don't need as a Student.
7. If you fail to make at least 75% lecture attendance in any course, you won’t be qualified to be admitted into the examination hall of such course.
8. Note that even though you have your rights as Students, you are still under the Authorities of Nnamdi Azikiwe University. NEVER Disrespect the Authorities.
9. The University is now your community. Do not attempt to blackmail or give it a bad image. Note that the University has the right to remove any bad egg from its basket. Any student who attempts to blackmail the University in any form shouldn’t be surprised if the University’s hammer lands on his or her head. While you have the right to criticise any of the University’s activities and even its authorities, any act of blackmail will not be tolerated as the University reserves the right to act when necessary to protect its good image.
10. If you have any information on any matter bothering you ranging from extortion of money, sexual harassment, intimidation or bad work habit by a student, lecturer or staff, kindly send a text to the following numbers 08136006205, 08063786022 and the Vice-Chancellor will investigate and take action. Confidentiality is assured.
Thanks and welcome to the University of all times.
- Chukwuemerie Uduchukwu